You Don’t Have to Leave Your Family Behind to Be a Global Nurse – Bring Them to the US!

The clinical hours are over, and you have also passed the NCLEX. You submitted the necessary documentation and finally got a green card. For passionate nurses like you, exploring a career outside your country, as a global nurse, can bring joy and apprehension. However, while the US will allow you to flourish as a direct-hire nurse, leaving loved ones behind is a necessary pain to endure.

The good news, though, is that bringing your spouse and children with you to the US is a possibility you can work on. You can sponsor a family member to join you in the US. If you are hell-bent that the US being your ultimate destination as a nurse, read on to find out options for family immigration the US has to offer.


Before Bringing a Family Member to the US, Start with Yourself

Can a green card holder sponsor a family member in achieving US citizenship as well? Absolutely! Any foreign citizen looking to become a permanent US resident has to seek assistance from an immediate relative who is either a US citizen or a US Lawful Permanent Resident. The latter is more commonly known as a green card holder, which in this case would be you as a direct-hire nurse.

As a global nurse direct staffing hire, it’s only imperative to attend to your own citizenship first. By this time, you must have looked into the US Federal Immigration Law on getting requirements for a visa. Be mindful of the different visa types to apply for.

The H-1B Visa, or the registered nurse temporary visa, is your minimum requirement for working in the US. However, you’ll need something with more longevity to sponsor a family member or two to be bona fide Americans. This is the employment-based permanent residency visa (EB-3 Visa), more commonly known as the green card. This visa does not expire and will give you better capabilities to bring your family to the US.


Then, Work On Your Family’s Citizenship

Once you have achieved permanent residency in the US, you’ve completed the crucial first step. Bringing your family next to bask in a better life in the US is a great idea, especially now when nurses are of utmost demand.

It’s worth noting though that financial capacity and cost of living play a crucial role in your plans to move to the US. Take time to research where your family will live and how your monthly salary will play with daily expenses. While family members may eventually find work to make ends meet, how everyone will battle out the first few months of your stay should be a calculated move.

Nonetheless, making it to the so-called Land of Opportunities is something you can share with your loved ones and be a decision that is definitely worth it. Begin the process of taking your loved ones with you to the US by filing Form I-130 (Petition for Alien Relative). This particular document proves your existing relationship with the person applying for residency.

Along with the form, submit qualifying evidence of your relationship, such as birth certificates, marriage certificates, divorce papers, and so on. You might also have to turn over proof of name change, if necessary.

Next, take note of various preference categories applicable to whoever is applying for US citizenship:

  • 1st preference: Unmarried children of US citizens aged 20 or older
  • 2nd preference, 2A: Spouses of green card holders and unmarried children or permanent residents below 21 years old
  • 2nd preference, 2B: Unmarried adult children of permanent residents, any age
  • 3rd preference: Married children of permanent residents
  • 4th preference: Siblings of US citizens above 21 years old

Each preference category has different priority dates for processing, depending on when the Form I-130 was filed. For more info on priority dates and the full list of requirements, you can visit the website of US Citizenship and Immigration Services.

What happens after, you might ask. While there is a bit of a waiting game, the outcomes of the application depend on where your family member is.

  • If they are already in the US, a status adjustment might be enough. This means they can shift to a permanent resident status once a visa number is now available. Another form is used for this: Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status.
  • If your loved ones are still in your home country, your petition to grant them residency will be forwarded to the National Visa Center (NVC). They will do their own scrutiny of the application, then it will be sent to the rightful US consulate. Once a visa is available, you and your loved ones will be notified to move forward to a whole other set of steps called consular processing. In a nutshell, consular processing is basically asking the person their objectives and why they need permanent US residency and providing the confirmation steps from the consulate and the NVC. Once everything has been verified, each family member will be called to receive a visa and green card.

Immigrating to the US Can be a Cherished Family Decision

There seem to be many steps and considerations before your loved ones can be considered green cardholders. However, when it comes to opportunities for foreigners seeking a better life, the US is one of the topmost choices for nurses and their families for various reasons:

Cultural diversity is alive and well. Especially in a time when acceptance and tolerance are practiced, immigrating to the US is a less worrying experience now. Communities, particularly for immigrants and their families, thrive in this atmosphere where prejudice is stepped on.

Opportunities for growth await your loved ones. May it be through academics or professional work, America boasts of being a melting pot of not only cultures but of various careers too. Jobs and great education await your children, and their futures look bright too.

Take hold of your family’s future. Instead of the usual story of sending money to your loved ones abroad and going back once a year then heading to the US again, why not flip the script? Take hold of your and your family’s fate by allowing them to live a great life with you in the US. The possibilities are endless.



While immigrating to the US as a direct-hire nurse is a rather big step to take, it helps if you have the support of a staffing partner that aligns with your goals of making your loved ones proud. PRS Global is here to assist you in making sure your transfer to the US is a smooth process, so you can easily move into getting your family over to America.

The Bright HorizonsTM Program is PRS Global’s pride and joy because of its success in supporting international nurses as they take on the challenge of a new environment. Furthermore, PRS Global can provide assistance for licensure exams, living and relocation expenses, even in introducing how else global direct-hire nurses can flourish in the company they are in.

For PRS Global, you are family. Reach out to us to know your direct placement options.